Next Wage Revision in Public Sector Banks is due on 1.11.2017. The Ministry of Finance has directed all Public Sector Banks to start the negotiations and conclude it prior to the effective date i.e. 1.11.2017. We will keep updating this post with all the updates with respect to Wage Revision in Public Sector Banks.
January 13, 2016
(June 7, 2017)
IBA has submitted their issues to UFBU after they have submitted their Charter of Demands. Some of the issues as circulated by AIBOA….MANAGEMENT ISSUES:
 C2C concept to be brought in
 Rationalisation of Special Pay carrying posts.
 Review of the two graduation increments
 Transfer and deployment of workmen staff
 Simultaneous conduct of departmental and judicial proceedings for workmen
 Conducting the departmental proceedings after retirement of workmen
 Premature retirement of workmen
 Outsourcing of any activity within the RBI guidelines
 Review of the automatic movement of officers from Scale I to II and also from Scale II to III
 To mark lien on NPS fund of employees to recover loss to the Bank on account of their proved misconduct.
(July 4, 2017)
DECISIONS OF UFBU MEETING:
GET READY FOR FURTHER STRUGGLES:
Meeting of UFBU was held today at Mumbai. Com.K.K. Nair, Chairman of UFBU presided
over the meeting.
Wage Revision: The meeting deliberated on the issue of our Charter of Demands submitted to IBA and the discussions held so far. The meeting felt that the entire process of discussions should be undertaken on a recurring and continuous basis in order to complete the settlement in time. Holding meetings once in a month will not serve the purpose and hence decided to urge upon the IBA to expedite the discussions so that steps can be taken to conclude the final settlement in time.
Restrictions in negotiations: The meeting expressed its strong protest on the decision of the IBA to restrict the negotiations on Charter of Demands of Officers’ Associations up to Scale-III only and demanded that as hitherto, the discussions and final Joint Note should cover all Officers up to Scale-VII inasmuch as the majority of these officers are members of their respective unions and the wage revision exercise which has been a composite one so far, should not be divided now which will create inter-scale conflicts and inequalities. It was decided to pursue the matter with the IBA, if necessary and warranted, resort to organisational programmes at the appropriate time.
Banking industry increasing challenges: The meeting deliberated in detail about the developments taking place in the banking sector in the name of implementing the banking reforms agenda of the Government. The meeting observed that instead of taking urgent remedial measures to recover the alarmingly increasing bad loans in the Banks which are threatening to drive the Banks into a serious crisis, the steps like MOU, PCA, FRDI Bill, NPA Ordnance, IBC, etc. are only aimed to clean the Balance Sheets at the cost of the Banks which represent the hard earned savings of the people rather than to recover the money. On the other hand, while denying the Public Sector Banks of adequate capital thus restricting their business expansion, freely licences are being given to the corporate houses to open private banks, small banks, payment banks, etc. thus weakening the Public Sector Banks. The meeting felt that very tough measures are required including criminal action on wilful defaulters to recover the huge bad loans given to the corporate houses, big business and top industrialists. It was also observed that the burden of the corporate NPAs are put on the shoulders of the common public and banking clientele in the form of hike in fees, charges, penalties, etc. for every type of normal banking services.
The meeting decided to launch struggle programme on the following demands and issues:
- Do not privatise Public Sector Banks
- Stop plans of mergers and consolidation of Banks
- Do not write off corporate Non-Performing Assets(NPAs)
- Declare wilful Default of Bank loans as criminal offence
- Implement recommendations of Parliamentary Committee on recovery of NPAs
- Ensure accountability of Top Management/Executives for bad loans and put in place stringent measures to recover bad loans.
- Withdraw proposed FRDI Bill
- Abolish Banks Board Bureau
- Do not pass on the burden of corporate NPAs on bank customers by hiking charges
- Do not increase Service Charges in the name of GST
- Reimbursement of cost of demonetisation and other Government Schemes to Banks by the Government.
- Settle issues of Employees and Officers connected with demonetisation scheme.
- Immediately fill up posts of Employee/Officer Director(s) in Bank(s)
- Implement Compassionate Appointment Schemes in Banks as per Government guidelines.
- Removal of Gratuity Ceiling under Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972 & Total Exemption of Income Tax on Gratuity and Leave Encashment on retirement
- Pension related issues Improvements in Pension Scheme similar to RBI/Central Government including for past retirees – Extension of erstwhile Pension Scheme in banks in lieu of NPS – Follow-up of Record Note dated 25.05.2015
- Adequate Recruitment in all cadres
19TH JULY 2017
SAVE PUBLIC SECTOR BANKS’ DAY – COUNTRYWIDE RALLIES, DEMONSTRATIONS, BADGE WEARING, POSTERING.
22ND AUGUST 2017
ALL INDIA BANK STRIKE
15TH SEPTEMBER 2017
MASSIVE MORCHA/RALLY IN DELHI BY 1,00,000 BANK EMPLOYEES AND OFFICERS
BY OCTOBER/NOVEMBER 2017
2 DAYS CONTINUOUS STRIKE
Details of the agitational programme will be sent to you in due course of time Comrades, on the one hand we have to settle the wage revision and achieve our demands in time and on the other we have to oppose and resist these anti-people banking reforms.We are sure that all our Unions and entire rank and file will rise to the occasion and make the struggle and programme a GRAND SUCCESS.
With greetings,Sd/- SANJEEV K BANDLISH,CONVENOR
July 7, 2017
CHECK OUT CHARTER OF DEMANDS: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7KYC2L-A0JbWDZFT21FeUR0Tms/view
Wednesday , 23 rd August
Sub : *11 th Bipartite*
Today 4 th round of discussions took place between I.B.A. and Unions. *
The meeting began with discussion on Ten “Management Issues” as under :
1. Compensation Package on Cost to Company. Fixed and Variable Pay concept for Offficers / Workmen. I.B.A. desires to introduce declaration of ‘Performance based Bonus.’ After discussion it was decided to further discuss this issue during detailed Wage Revision process.
2. Rationalisation of Special Pay Carrying Posts. There are 8 & 3 such posts at Clerical and Sub Staff level. We made it clear to I.B.A. that additional burden of duties should be compensated. It was decided to discuss this issue during next rounds with more details from I.B.A.
3. Review of two graduation increments. Only elementary discussion took place. We opposed this move of I.B.A.
4. Transfer and deployment of Workmen Employees – para 536 of Sastry Award. We demanded better monetary compensation for transferees as transfers are effected by Managements. This issue to come for discussion during future rounds.
5. Simultaneous disciplinary action by Banks and Police. Only discussion took place. No conclusive decision.
6. Continuing departmental proceedings post retirement for Workmen Employees. Only discussion took place.
7. Premature Retirement of Workman in Public Interest. We opposed this move.
8. Outsourcing : We have asked I.B.A. to elaborate Business Needs.
9. Automatic Movement of pay Scales for Officers. Only discussion. No decision.
10. To mark Lien on NPS Fund of employees to recover Bank’s Loss. We opposed move. Issue will be discussed further.
*Thus Management Issues were discussed only. No decision was arrived.*
1. Improvement in Pay Scales and Stagnation Increments.
2. D. A. Formula
3. H. R. A.
As load factor and basic pay structure is not decided , the issue remains hanging. Will be discussed in future rounds.
1. Maternity Leave and in continuation Special Leave to Women employees was discussed. No conclusion.
2. Leave Bank. We requested IBA to put forth exact scheme. It will happen during next rounds.
*L. F. C.*
We put forth demand for enhancement in maximum distances. Uniform inclusion of Special Trains like Rajadhani etc in all bank schemes. Also one more option to employees to select periodicity of LFC.
Road Travel cost reimbursement should be at same rate for Officers and Workmen was our demand. Our other demand was to include Sight Seeing Expenses in overall limit. Cost of Taxes such as GST should be included in Ticket Price which should be enhanced accordingly and reimbursed was our firm demand.
Thus even though so many issues came up and discussed, all were discussed on primary level. Discussions to continue. IBA to come up with concrete plans to give shape to discussion.
All these issues will be discussed during future rounds.
September 6, 2017
11th BPS ……Talks held on 6/9/17
“Today , Meeting of the Core Group (Workmen) was held.
No decision was taken during the meeting on any issue. Financial matters (wage related) were not discussed. No offer on Salary Rise was made by IBA.
Out of nine Demands on Agenda, only Six were discussed. They are :
1. Leave Benefits : PL accumulation & Encashment, Sick Leave, ML, Child Care Leave, Sabbatical Leave, Paternity Leave, Extra Ordinary Leave were discussed. Only discussions took place. For Child Care Leave Unions to present a note to IBA during next rounds.
2. Women Employees : Improvements demanded by Unions in their Service Conditions was discussed.
3. Temporary Employees : Demand for their absorption in regular Service was taken up. IBA put it aside.
4. LFC : Demand for Improvement in LFC Entitlement was taken up for discussion. Nothing Materialised.
5. PENSION for post April 2010 Employees : Demand for Regular Pension to these Employees was taken up. IBA wants Unions to take up this issue with individual Banks.
6. COMPASSIONATE GROUND APPOINTMENTS : Union demand is proper implementation of Scheme. IBA says Scheme is already there as per Govt Guidelines. Implementation part Unions have to take up with individual Banks.
The following three issues as per Agenda could not be discussed. They were :
1. Increase in Transport Allowance / Reimbursement of Petrol Cost.
2. Provisions of Voluntary Cessation of Service.
3. Compensation on Transfer.
The next meeting of Core Group (Workmen) will be held on 3 rd October, 2017 at 11 am.
Core Group meeting with IBA took place today. Improvement in leave benefits,service conditions pertaining to women employees,etc. discussed in detail. Some positive understanding reached. Next meeting on 3rd Oct.
CJ Nandakumar & Pradip Biswas. BEFI
Tuesday, 03 rd October,2017
Sub : 11 th Bipartite Settlement.
On 3rd Oct 2017, one more round of Meeting of the Core Group (Workmen) took place on IX th Bipartite Settlement.
The meeting was purely for Non – Financial Issues.
1. Increase in T.A. / Reimbursement of Petrol Cost : IBA says ‘different Banks have their own different Schemes.’ Unions should take up this issue with individual Banks.
2. Voluntary Cessation of Service : Union wants deletion of these provisions. IBA said they will discuss this issue internally. No decision taken on this issue today.
3. Better Compensation on Transfer on Deployment Policy : At present it is Rs. 400 pm. Discussion to continue.
4. Expenses while on Transfers : Enhancement will be considered at the time of final Financial Package.
5. Improvements in Medical Insurance Scheme :
These issues will be discussed during exclusive meeting on this matter on Friday, 06 th October, 2017 at 3 pm.
6. Bonus for all employees without any ceiling :
Bonus is paid as per Payment of Bonus Act. So IBA expressed it’s inability to accept this demand.
7. Staff Loans :
For all types of Staff Loans individual Banks are having different Schemes. IBA can’t interfere. But IBA may “request” Banks to consider One full month’s salary as Festival Advance.
8. Uniform Guidelines on Fitment for Ex – Servicemen :
IBA to take up this matter with Govt of India.
9. Physically Challenged / Differently Abled Employees :
a. IBA may consider positively demand for Revision of Conveyance Allowance paid to these employees.
b. Tentatively it is accepted that married handicapped daughter irrespective of age to be defined as Dependent if she fulfills criteria for “dependent” incomewise.
10. Revision in Criteria / Ceiling of Dependents’ Income : Discussion to continue. But IBA gave positive signal.
There will be one more meeting of Core Group (Workmen) on 24 th October, 2017 at 11.30 am.
*Full Committee may meet on 30 th October, 2017. IBA to inform us about this.*
Monday, 9 October, 2017
Friday, 13th October, 2017
October 25, 2017
*XIth BIPARTITE WAGE NEGOTIATION -UDATE* 🐆
Friday 27 th Oct, 2017
_Reproduced the text message as received_
“Today at IBA Office in Mumbai IBA held Negotiating Committee Meeting with Workmen Unions/Officers’ Associations. It was joint meeting with both Award Staff and Officers together.
At the beginning Sri. R. K. Thakkar, M.D. & CEO of UCO Bank welcomed Union Representatives on behalf of IBA and began the discussions.
IBA made it clear that as per the present market trend, they want to introduce concept of *Variable Pay* in Banks.
VARIABLE PAY will be performance linked, to encourage those who perform.
Unions showed their resentment. Issue is complicated and IBA did not come out with any clear cut idea on this issue. IBA will put forth scheme in their mind in detail next time.
Financial Offer : was expected. But did not come out from IBA. In next Negotiation Committee Meeting IBA may propose their offer for Wage Hike.
Data about Wage related expenses will be received by IBA in about a week. Then only they may decide about Financial Offer.
D. A MERGER : for merging DA with basic to form new basics cut off date may be 31.10.2016.
GRATUITY : IBA may agree to pay Gratuity as per Gratuity Act and as per Govt. guidelines.
Fractured Mandate : IBA has received mandate from Bank Managements to Negotiate with Unions only upto Scale III employees. So they are unable to negotiate for further scales.
*Five Day Week*: IBA said that they will take a call on it. They will study it’s effects on Banks’ Business as well as on Customer Service. Then only IBA can decide on this issue.
FAMILY PENSION : Regarding upward revision and 100 % neutralisation of DA on Family Pension, IBA can discuss and decide only after result of pending Court Case.
Frequency of Meetings : IBA promised that hereafter there will be more frequent meetings of Negotiating Committee to enable early conclusion of this Settlement.
Except sowing seeds of fear on account of threat of introduction of *Variable Pay*, no positive progress is made in this already delayed Settlement.”
CIRCULAR No. UFBU/2017/22 27.10.2017
TO ALL CONSTITUENT UNIONS/MEMBERS
WAGE REVISION TALKS WITH IBA :
Further to the ongoing discussions in the Sub-Committee on non-financial demands, today, a round of discussions with the Full Negotiating Committee of IBA was held in Mumbai.
From the side of IBA, Mr.R.K. Takkar(MD-UCO Bank and Chairman of the Negotiating Committee), Mr.V.G. Kannan(Chief Executive of IBA), Mrs.Usha Ananthasubramaniam(MD-Allahabad Bank), Mr.P.S. Jayakumar(MD-Bank of Baroda), Mr.Shyam Srinivasan(MD-Federal Bank), Mr.Prashant Kumar(DMD-SBI), Mr.B. Rajkumar(Dy.Chief Executive-IBA), Mr.S.K. Kakkar(Sr. Advisor-IBA) and Mr.K.S. Chauhan(Advisor-IBA) were present.
From the side of UFBU, the following representatives were present:
Com.C.H. Venkatachalam and Com.Rajen Nagar(AIBEA), Com.D.T. Franco and Com.Dilip Saha(AIBOC), Com.Sanjeev K. Bandlish and Com.Vinil Saxena(NCBE), Com.S. Nagarajan(AIBOA), Com.C.J. Nandakumar(BEFI), Com.Subhash Sawant(INBEF), Com.K.K. Nair(INBOC), Com.Ramnath Kini(NOBW) and Com.Sunil Deshpande(NOBO).
We submitted the following main issues/points and wanted the response of IBA.
*Wage revision process should be completed expeditiously.
*More frequent meetings/discussions to be held for this purpose.
number of employees, etc
to be provided.
*Negotiations must cover all Officers upto Scale-VII.
*IBA to make their initial offer on increase in wages.
*Fixing the Price Index upto which DA is to be merged with Basic Pay.
*Discussion on the issues pertaining to retirees viz.
pension updation, improvement in Family Pension, etc.
*Introduction of 5 Day Banking i.e. remaining Saturdays also to be holidays.
IBA responded as under:
*IBA will hold frequent meetings to expedite the process.
*Data on Establishment Expenses as on 31.03.2017 was provided.
Further data would be provided shortly.
*On the issue of fractured mandate by some Banks, Unions have to take up with the concerned Banks.
*For officers, Performance related Variable Pay method to be introduced.
*DA as on 31.10.2016 can be merged with Basic Pay.
*Issues like 100% DA and updation are subjudice due to litigation.
*On improvement in Family Pension, the cost aspect is being worked out.
*For introduction of 5 Day Banking, the matter needs to be taken up with various stake holders including customers and Government, etc. before any decision is taken.
There was a lot of discussion on these issues. From our side, we informed them as under:
*IBA should commence the meaningful negotiations by making their initial offer on wage increase.
*Entire exercise should be attempted to be completed before December, 2017.
*While we shall meet the top management of the concerned Banks on mandate issue, IBA also should also take initiative to resolve the matter as majority of the Banks have given their mandate for negotiations upto Scale-VII Officers.
*While we are for better performance, efficiency, more productivity, etc., any differentiated wage compensation will result in subjectivity, unilateralism, discrimination and may become demotivating and counter-productive.
*On DA merger point, Unions will discuss and come back in the next round of talks.
*On pension related issues, none of the Unions under UFBU have resorted to litigation.
*On introduction of 5 Day Banking, IBA should take necessary steps from now on.
IBA took note of our views and it was decided to discuss the issues further in the next round of talks which will be held shortly.
November 14, 2017:
Another round of discussion between Workmen Unions and IBA in small committee held today (14.11.2017)
A summarised note will be sent to main negotiating committee for finalisation.
We demanded for early fixing of dt for main negotiation.
No dt fixed.
Further development will b informed by circular.
Ufbu decides to organise signature campaign against banking sector reforms during the month of December.
Implement the program seriously to rouse public opinion in defense of PSBs.
February 17, 2018: